MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thai'd one on...

After all of Jaime's talk of Thai food, I had a real craving for some. I had bought this cookbook a while back, along with a Vietnamese one, and I really like it because the recipes are simple, and laid out so anyone can follow them. Shows you a picture of what you need, and lays it out step by step. I decided on a Green Coconut Curry - it was supposed to be with chicken and eggplant but I decided on shrimp and shitake mushrooms. Holy yummy! I also stir-fried a schwack of veggies (red & yellow peppers, carrots, celery, regular mushrooms, ginger, garlic, green onions, bean sprouts and mini corn, with a sauce made up of equal parts oyster sauce, fish sauce and sugar) to eat along side the curry (which also had bamboo shoots, kaffir lime leaves and basil in it) and with brown rice. A little bit of cilantro and fresh basil finished it all nicely. Have I mentioned YUMMY?!?!

The day started slowly. I allowed myself a little lie-in, till about 9. I am on holidays, after all. After puttering with a coffee and catching up on blogs and Facebook, I decided that I needed to do something. Had a few slices of rye bread with Nutella. Nope...not it. Needed more. So then I had lunch (where did the morning go!?) of leftover lentils & sausage. Then I geared up and walked to my dentist, to pay for Friday's visit; to the bank to make a deposit; to the grocery store to pick up what I needed for tonight and lastly to my hairdresser's to make an appointment to kill some gray hairs! Okay...a LOT of gray hairs! Remember last week when I couldn't get Mr. Garmin to shut off?? Today, I couldn't get him to stay on!! Grrr...really not getting along, although I see we're having a Garmin discussion at marathon clinic in a few weeks, so I should be able to last till then.
After adding up all my individual walks, I found I covered 4.44km in just over 50 minutes (that includes the many waits at the lights), and burned a couple of hundred calories.
Dropped off my groceries, and since I was already changed, I went out to do my 6km Tempo run. After a walk of 1.19km to get to the start, I headed out. the paths weren't too bad, but again, people in the city need to shovel. Heck, this city needs to shovel!!! Ran out 3km, turned around and brought it home. Didn't really slip, but had to ditch it a few times, to avoid the sheets of ice under the loose snow. Envision running on loose sand spread out on a pane of glass...great for the butt, but lousy for overall tempo pace/time. I didn't do too bad though, coming in at 50:52, or a pace of 8:28/km. I should be aiming for 8:09, but that can happen when the snow clears a bit.
Started on my living room, just gathering up some garbage and such. I am a clutter-bug, so I need to start in a corner and just purge. Like everything in my life, I JUST NEED TO DO IT! I'll be up bright and early tomorrow, as the fire alarm people are coming to test for two hours, so I won't be able to sleep through it...nothing else to do, may as well clean out a living room!
Started dinner...got the rice cooking. I don't have any troubles cooking brown rice. I do buy the converted type, Uncle Ben's, and it's as easy as white for me. 1 part rice, 2 parts liquid. Boil, and once the water disappears, take the pot off the heat and let it sit. My rice was perfect. Since I was doing shrimp, and they cook quickly, I did all the chopping while the rice was cooking, and started the veggies first. Then I mixed together the powdered coconut milk with water (if you can find it, buy it! It's awesome to have in the cupboard, and then you only use what you need, not a whole can - made by Maggi), added the Thai Green Curry paste and some chopped up kaffir lime leaves (Epicure sells them) and let that start to steep. Added the bamboo shoots and the soaked, sliced shitake mushrooms (you can buy a gigantic bag of dried shitakes at any Asian market for dirt cheap, and they last forever!) and once the veggies were close to being done, I threw in the shrimp. Unfortunately, I had a bit of a boil over, and lost a lot of the sauce, but the curry was still phenomenal.
So now it's after 9 already. Where did the day go? I'll haul the garbage out to the bin, get the key/lock box ready for the fire dude, and then most likely hit the hay. I'll be up early, and purging, and then have a hair appointment at 1. More purging, and then run club at 6. Busy day.
Hope you all have/had a good one,
Later,

No comments:

Blog Archive