MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rocked my Tempo run!

Set the alarm for 5am today, so that after adding my usual 3-4 snooze hits, I was up, cleaned up, lunch packed and out the door by 6:30, and to work just before 7. Which is technically when I start...not the 7:16, 7:23, 7:27 that has been in the past! I am not a morning person yet, but I do still love leaving at 3:30!
Had my usual oatmeal breakfast (nutella/banana/coconut/milk), which powered me through to lunch. On the schedule today was a 6km Tempo run. "The purpose of the Tempo run is to be near the lactate threshold pace, 80% MHR (maximum heart rate or 220 less your age). They are designed to improve the lactate threshold, and therefore help people run faster". Garrath (instructor) had emailed us all last night, and explained that our Tempo today should be done the following way: ease into (warm up) the first 2km - that is go at a steady, but slower pace. Then really pick it up for km's 3, 4 & 5, pushing beyond your comfort level, and then use km #6 to slow down and cool down. Here's how mine looked:
km #1 - 8.07 pace, 140 bpm (80.5%)
km #2 - 7.56 pace, 150 bpm (86.2%)
km #3 - 8.10 pace, 154 bpm (88.5%)
km #4 - 7.58 pace, 154 bpm (88.5%)
km #5 - 7.42 pace, 164 bpm (94.3% - yikes...a tad high!), but totally rocked the pace!
km #6 - 7.40 pace, 163 bpm (93.7%) - apparently I don't know how to slow down, once I hit my stride!
Average pace of: 7.56/km (my fastest in forever!), 154 bpm or 88.5% MHR, burning 443 calories. And I felt pretty good by the end. Mostly I was the proudest of NOT STOPPING, NOT.EVEN.FOR.ONE.SECOND! Yay me! Of course, tomorrow night is Garrath's turn to push us through our paces, and we've got a 10km scheduled. I have never run 10km without a walk break, so this could be interesting...of course, until today, I have never run 6km without stopping either. Look at me...I am master of my own run path!!!
Cleaned up (and realized that last night's tabata was coming back to bite me...I could barely get my arms up over my head!), and had my lunch of the last of the veal taco (my shell broke, so it became a salad of sorts) with romaine, some cheese, salsa and light sour cream mixed together and a side of sliced red pepper. I had a half a grapefruit at 3, and just remembered that the other half is in my lunch bag. I shall have to move that to the fridge for a snack tomorrow.
After a quick stop in at the store to pick up hamburger, I came home and made a meatloaf, using the Epicure mix for Meatloaf.
As per usual, it's low sodium, nothing artificial and no MSG or bad for you stuff. It's quite tasty, and had everyone raving yesterday at the tasting party. That made me want to make another, and it's so easy-peasy. Mix the hamburger (I will add some ground pork next time, as that really upped the flavour and moisture) with egg, milk, bread crumbs, some S&P to taste and the meatloaf spice blend. Once it's all mixed well, put in a loaf pan and bake till done. I had some leftover gravy (again, from Epicure, and again, low sodium and no crap!), so I sauteed some mushrooms and added the gravy. That was poured over some roasted potato & carrots and the meatloaf. It may look like a dog's dinner but it was divine.

After snacking on some way too fresh (read - dangerous!) Winnipeg rye bread (with buttah and jam), I am trying to hit up the water bottle instead and get ready to go to bed. Contacts are already out...just have to shut down, make sure everything is put away in the kitchen and floss. I'll take leftover meatloaf for lunch, probably in a sangy, so that just leaves a side to make. Most likely salad or some raw carrots and celery. I'll decide in the morning.
BTW, way to rock the X-weighted challenge everyone. Good job!!
Later,

No comments:

Blog Archive