MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tempo education

"Can you maintain that pace for 42.2 kms?" Garrath's leading question to me... Let me fill in the blanks. I went out for tempo run at lunch today, intent on slowing down. For my pace (5:45 to finish) I should be maintaining a tempo pace at 8:09/km. A couple of weeks ago (couldn't run it last week) I was at 6:55!! Discuss with Garrath, who suggests I "slow down". How exactly, we haven't figured out yet, so my goal today was to really watch Mr. Garmin.
First km: warm up...I was running slow...really, I was. 7:51...this does not bode well!
km 2: 7:35 - 143 bpm (60-75%)
km 3: 7:38 - 148 bpm (76-89%)
km 4: 7:37 - 147 bpm (60-75%)
km 5: 7:27 - 151 bpm (76-80%)
km 6 (cool down): 8:06 - 141 bpm (60-75%)
Overall average was 7:43 and 143 bpm. So, can I maintain this pace for 42.2 km? What I really need to do is figure out my proper maximum heart rate, so I can get a better idea of the zones I'm training in, and how to endure on race day. I've chosen Calgary (May 30th), so I have 11 weeks to get it sorted out. I just need to watch the heart rate (try and keep it around 75% the whole way) and the pace around 7:55...easier typed then done!

Breakfast was another scrambled egg burrito and lunch was a bowl of vegetable soup and sundried tomato sandwich with cheese - I majorly slept in this morning, waking up at 6:26am...I usually leave the house by 6:35, so I was a tad rushed! Quietly worked the rest of the afternoon, and then came home, swinging by the grocery store to finally get some milk. While I was there, I also picked up a round of polenta, as a coworker was wondering what it was and how you cook it (she had picked up the latest Biggest Loser book, and it had a recipe using it). That put me in the mood, as I love polenta. I took a can of crushed tomatoes and added some toasted onion and Epicure Pesto mix and left that to stew. In another pan, I fried off some slices of polenta in a bit of evoo, turning the slices when they got golden. Took them out, and then tossed in some artichoke hearts and roasted red pepper slices, and cooked them till nice and warm. Polenta, some sauce and the fried veggies, and a smattering of cheese. Yummo! And I am such a nice person, I left a piece for my coworker to try, so she doesn't waste her money on something she may not even like. All together now...aaawwww...
I'm heading to bed...the hour didn't bother me on Sunday or yesterday, but today I was in a fog for most of it! Sleeping through an hour and a half of your alarm wasn't a great way to start!
Don't forget to wear GREEN tomorrow...the day where we're all Irish! I will most definitely be hoisting a pint (or two) after run club tomorrow. Hills x 9, which I kind of enjoy, in a sick and twisted way, which will make the Guinness taste that much better!
May you always have walls for the winds,
a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire,
laughter to cheer you, those you love near you,
and all your heart might desire.

No comments:

Blog Archive