MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Good Intentions

Another year...they really do start going by very quickly, the older you get. Take note of that, you youngens out there!!

After enjoying my New Year's Eve feast and Criminal Minds marathon, I was just about to head to bed when I remembered that I forgot (is that right?!) to go feed a friend's cats during the day! Oops!! So I got dressed, and headed out into the night. Weaving through traffic (seriously...construction closers at 1:30am on New Year's Eve?!) and drunk people (who think standing in the middle of the road to hail a taxi is a good thing!), I fed the cats and returned for home. That took almost an hour! Unfortunately my timing is perfect, as I re-entered the downtown core just in time with the police locking it down to investigate Calgary's first murder of the year!!!! ARGH!!!! Finally, after some serious bobbing and weaving, I made it home and in bed by 2:30am.

Got up yesterday, feeling like dirt. You'd think I'd been drinking all night, but I think it was the lack of sleep. After a couple cups of coffee, I made a "brunch" of some of the leftover potatoes and panchetta hash browns, a couple slices of the olive bread (OMG!) and two perfectly dippy eggs. Dippy eggs LOVE olive bread!


I made Caesar salad and Cherry-O-Cream Cheese pie for dinner at Mom's later. My Caesar is a recipe I've been following for eons...mix olive oil, Dijon mustard, Worchestershire sauce, S&P, garlic (lots!) and lemon juice. Let sit, then blend in one egg yolk before tossing with romaine and croutons (I tossed cubes of the olive bread with evoo, garlic, S&P) and loads of Parmesan cheese. The pie is also a family tradition...we had it every year for New Year's day dinner.

Into a bowl mix 1 block softened cream cheese, 1 can condensed milk (NOT evaporated!), 1/3 c lemon juice and some vanilla. Blend till smooth and pour into a prepared graham wafer crust. Let sit in the fridge till it firms up and then top with cherry pie filling. Simple and oh, so freaking good!!!

My brother, using the ham bone from Christmas, made an amazing pot of ham-bone soup. He, like my father before, threw everything into the pot...potatoes, carrots, barley, split peas, white beans, celery and apparently tapioca. Said he grabbed it in error once (thought it was barley) and found it was a great way to thicken the soup, so now he uses it all the time. Couldn't tell it was in there. So we enjoyed a good, hot bowl of soup, toasty croissants for dipping, salad and then pie for dessert. A nice way to start the year. Swung by and fed the cats (no police blockades this time!) and I was home and in bed at 10, as I had full intentions of getting up and going down to run club this morning.

The alarm went off at 7am, and after getting up to feed the cats, I took a look in the mirror, shut the alarm off and went back to bed. I looked (and sort of felt) like I had one hell of a bender last night! What was that?! Slept a little longer, and woke up with a sneezing attack. I do hope this doesn't mean a cold is pending. I'll take some vitamins and orange juice and stop this in it's tracks!

After some more coffee, I made myself a giant pancake. My mix is buttermilk and whole wheat, and I skipped the egg addition (said it was optional and I didn't even miss it) to make it even less points. While the pancake cooked, I mixed up a banana, maple syrup and a touch of cinnamon. Topped the whole mess with some pom buds. Easy to do...cut a pomegranate in half and spank with the back of a wooden spoon over a bowl...warning...do not wear white while doing this! It is messy.



So now I sit here, pondering about 2011, my goals for the year and a run today. Mr. Garmin is cleaned out and ready for a new year, and I updated my Running Room trainer for 2010. I ran 1,766.12 km last year, or 1,097 miles! I plan on doing that and much more in 2011.

Later,

No comments: