MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Food = Fuel

I had this thought running through my head while I ran at lunch (I don't run with tunes anymore, ever since Vancouver, so it allows for freedom and randomness of thought)...why have I let food have such power and control?? It is merely fuel...a means to the end, to nourish and provide energy for all my body does. And that doesn't just mean for running or boot camp, but for keeping the blood pumping, lungs breathing, nerves feeling, thinking cognitive thoughts...that kind of stuff.

So...starting now...food = fuel.period!
It does not equal love...never has and never will.
It will not make me financially stable...it will not help with the rent or bills.
It will not hug me, hold me, dry my tears.
It is fuel...it will propel my body forward when I need it to, but that is all.
Whether you are a carnivore, vegan or happily in between, food is merely fuel.
Italian, Asian, British, African...regardless of your heritage and food choices, food = fuel.
There...power begone!

If only it were that simple...BUT that being said, I am the only one that can make these decisions for myself, and here's what I've decided. I will no longer give food labels such as 'good' or 'bad'. Fuel is not bad for me, it just won't get me there as fast as it should. Think about it...if Ferrari decides to put sludge in their race cars, how many races do you think they will win?? Premium fuel equals premium results!

So, to fuel my body today for a 5k run at lunch, boot camp and general moving & living, I started with a Green Monster:
- 1 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3 c spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp sprouted, ground Chia seeds
- 1 tbsp natural almond butter


Mid-morning snack (when the tank registered as empty) was two Rustic Flatbreads, Laughing Cow light cheese and homemade raspberry jam. That made for a good run at lunch (I am cat-sitting, but the run there and back is just over 5K, which is awesome) in the sunshine.

Lunch was 1/2 c 1% cottage cheese, a good cup of baby carrots, fresh from the dirt!, two more Rustic Flatbreads and my first peach of the season (juicy and DELISH!). Afternoon snack (again, tank heading to 'E') was a 1/2 c plain yogurt with Epicure Summer Berry and 1/3 c All Bran buds stirred in.

Off to boot camp: even though it rained on the walk home, it cleared up in time for boot camp...although it was still disgustingly humid out there. Again, I live in Calgary for a reason, and that is the DRY AIR!!! I want it back!!!

Home and prepared dinner. I made fresh pesto on the weekend, and decided that it would be fabulous on a piece of chicken. I rubbed the pesto all over a chicken breast and let it sit and meld. While that soaked up the flavours, I sliced up an eggplant and brushed it with some evoo. Both went on my Griddler. Food may be fuel, but that doesn't mean it has to taste like gasoline!!! Pesto makes a wicked good crust on grilled chicken...the Parmesan and pine nuts get all toasty golden and are FREAKING AWESOME! I saved a piece for tomorrow's planned lunch of salad with chicken and tomatoes. The eggplant was sprinkled with goat cheese and Fig Balsamic dressing. Rounded out the meal with some whole wheat rotini, with just a bit more of the pesto. The tank is happily full...



That's it for me tonight,
Later

2 comments:

Amber said...

Great point. I really need to start treating food more as FUEL, too!!

H-woman said...

EXACTLY! And holy moly, Batman, that dinner looks awesome!!

H =)

Blog Archive