MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Shrove (Pancake) Tuesday

Had it marked in my calendar, because this brings back memories of growing up. Despite not being Catholic, or Anglican, or even overtly religious, my Mom always made pancakes for supper on Shrove or Pancake Tuesday. We always had them with fried eggs and bacon, but tonight I wanted something a little different. But I'll get to that soon.
Grabbed breakfast as I was running out of the house, as I was late to bed last night and way groggy this morning. Don't know why, really. But breakfast turned out to be a glass of milk, a banana wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla with nutella and a peach yogurt (from our Healthy Snacks basket at work). That held me over till lunch, where I went out (despite not really wanting to) and ran my 6km Tempo. Hearing Garrath's voice and words of advice in my ear, I slowly got into the first km (7:47), before turning on the guns (really try to run, engaging my glutes...harder than it sounds...) and for the next 4 km, average 7:10 (7:04, 7:08, 7:16 & 7:10) for all 4, before making myself STOP AND WALK starting km 6. This is the "cool down" km, and for the last few runs, I've been taking it too fast. So Garrath suggested I walk it. What I did was a compromise: I walked about 250m, before starting into a light jog...actually the walking really worked, as I found it very difficult to go any faster than I was, and I finished my cool down km at 8:33. Came back, and since I wasn't organized enough to pack lunch, I bought downstairs (again...). Today it was meat stuffed cannelloni with salad and garlic bread. I let them keep the bread.
Quick trip to the vets for food and insulin (George seems to like it, so what the heck...let's keep it up, shall we?!), where there were a pair of English Bulldogs that just wanted to love everyone - so cute! And this wee, little Yorkie that sat in the nurse's arms just a shaking and quivering...poor little dude had just come out of surgery. Once I got my doggie fill, I came home and started to get dinner ready.
Back to Shrove Tuesday...as mentioned, it's also known as Pancake Tuesday, with the theory that one would use up all the "bad" stuff (butter, eggs, flour, sugar) before lent arrived. I don't care...I HEART pancakes for dinner. I decided to make Cottage Cakes (Weight Watcher's recipe with slight variations by moi): this is a half recipe, and it makes two very large pancakes.
1/2 c 1% (or fat free) cottage cheese
1 beaten egg
3/4 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
the recipe says to add parsley & hot sauce at this point, but I prefer sweet over savory, so I add a tbsp of brown sugar and a splash of vanilla. Mix well.
In hot skillet, cook till brown and flip.
I served them with maple peaches and pecans...in another pan heat peaches, pecans and maple syrup, allowing the maple syrup to reduce somewhat. Put a dab of real buttah on the cakes, and top with the peachs...O.M.G!!!!!
I also love the salty sweet combo of bacon and syrup, so I did allow myself 3 slices of nice, thick REAL bacon. Heavenly!

So, as a non-Catholic, non-Anglican, non-practicing Agnostic...what am I doing for Lent? You see, the whole 40-day sacrifice thing intrigues me. What am I willing (and able) to give up for 40 days?? One year it was alcohol...another, chocolate. Have I mentioned that my birthday always falls in Lent? It's hard not to drink or eat chocolate on your birthday! So I mulled all day...
- no swearing...too bad most of it is so mindless, I don't even know when I'm doing it. Probably wouldn't last a day!
- no cookies...this one has possibilities.
- no cheese...sorry, so not ready to break up with cheese!
- no dips...I think this is the one I'm going with, but I'm going to expand on it. See, I've been having dip for dinner (spinach artichoke or feta red pepper, or what have you) when I've been lazy and it's easy. So instead of no dips, it'll be "no easy way out". No dips, no pre-packaged, no 'quick & easy' that has been processed in any way. I will plan, I will prepare and I will also avoid buying breakfast, lunch or dinner in the next 40 days. Yes, my birthday is in there, and I may wish to go out for dinner, but it'll be one night, and I'll prepare for it as best as I can.
There...for Lent (is that what non-Catholics call it??) I will give up "easy". Check back at Easter!
Cried watching Maelle Ricker win GOLD earlier, in what can be described as one of the scariest sports to watch, but also so very exciting. Another hidden loonie did the trick!
GO CANADA GO!!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Sorry...forgot to add 1/4 c 1% (or fat free) milk to the recipe.

Blog Archive