MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

First day of Hills training

So, after carefully packaging up my lunch and breakfast, I promptly left it sitting in the hallway, and didn't realize till I got to the office. Drat! I could have used breakfast, since I had a dentist appointment at 8:50. I grabbed a coffee, but nothing to eat (bad) and headed off. After sitting in the office for about a half an hour (dental emergency) I was getting really hungry...and getting the starting of a caffeine (read - lack thereof) headache. Finally the receptionist offered me a Starbucks card for having to wait ('kay!!!) and then the chair opened up. I just needed a filling repaired, but my dentist is a very thorough man, making sure I was frozen from my waist to my ears, practically! Finally got back to the office around 10:30 (famished) but realized that until the freezing started to let out, I wasn't eating anything! Crap!!!
I did grab a salad downstairs (chipotle chicken with tomato, avocado, red cabbage, black beans and shredded cheddar on a huge pile of greens, with a light vinaigrette) but had to sit and stare at it, willing feeling to come back into my lips, teeth and tongue! I finally managed to get some chocolate milk into myself, which helped take the edge off. FINALLY the freezing came out about 2:30 and I could eat. OMG, I was STARVING.
Came home, changed, ate some leftover baked pasta with some cottage cheese, and headed off to the Running Room for Hills Training! Yay, yippee, yahoo, whoot-whoot...;enthusiastic enough? Garrath believes that you don't just run up and down hills, but that you should warm up and cool down, and still get in some decent mileage, all the while combating hills of 600m. Tonight we were scheduled for 5k, which involved 4 hills. We did 8.39km and three hills, but what hills they were!
After starting out at a nice pace, we ran along the river to 10th Street...our first hill. It was a lovely night for a run, cool and clear, but the pathways have started to ice over, which caused some footing problems. After making it to the top (no stopping or walking) we crossed the ridge to the Crescent Height Stairs (you've heard me talk about these before), which we walked down (safety first), and then curled around to run up the Curling Club hill. This one is be-otch, because it doesn't just go up nice and steady, but has a few mini climbs in it. This was the first time EVER that I have run it without having to walk or stop! We then ran over and down Centre Street, curled around and under and then prepared for our last hill...Centre Street!! We were instructed to run to the 1st set of lights, and then we were done. Our pace bunny misunderstood however, so we ran TO THE TOP! It's actually at a strip mall called Happy Hills! It lies!!!! But we made it (one of our group did sound like she was stroking out, but she made it) and then ran back for a blessed beer. Overall we did 8:39km, finished it in 1:17 and I maintained an average heart rate of 143 (82%) which rocks!!! My recovery is getting awesome.
Just got home from my one pint, and thinking I need something to eat. I am hungry.
That's it for me.
Later,

No comments:

Blog Archive