MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Hypothermic Half

In Calgary, this is an aptly named February run. I guess it's the kick-off race to running season, and is sold out quickly every year. As this is a usual marathon clinic LSD day, and we were to run 23km this morning, our illustrious leader, Garrath, pulled some strings, and got permission for the marathon group to run in the morning wave (two waves, as seating for brunch at the finish was limited), but no timing chip or swag...or food, for that matter! However, the one catch was he didn't want us treating it like an LSD (long, slow distance) but as a race, pushing ourselves to do our best. K., my pace bunny, and I decided we were going to finish this is 2:30, which would be a personal best for us both. So far my fastest Half was my first, in 2004 (2:45), and I've just seemed to slow down ever since.
Once again, we Calgarians woke to the city encased in frost and ice again, and a humidity level of 97%. Since the city is normally described as "semi-arid", you can understand my frustration with 97% humidity in the dead of winter!!! The paths were slick in some spots, but I only heard of one fall out of the entire group, so that's good. We started off strong at 9:00 am (okay, 9:05) in -8C temps and foggy skies. Unfortunately we didn't get far before my co-runner had to stop...I shan't go into details, other than to say that she has a delicate...well, bowel. Watched everyone run past, but that's okay...it's early and we'll catch 'em. Didn't get much further though, before she waved me on, saying she would catch up to me. She never did. But I took the training thus far to heart, and did my best to maintain a good pace, with the anticipation of doing a negative split for the second half. This was pretty much a straight out and back, with very few hills, and landmarks I know. Which makes the run easy...instead of saying "I have 15km to go", I say...I only have to get as far as Crowchild Bridge, then I only have to get to 37th St and so on. Really broke it up nicely for me, and I managed to stick to, for the entire run, a steady 10:1. I couldn't seem to get faster than 7:54, but man, I tried! Saw K. on the way back, and she didn't look good...hope she made it okay. I'm sure I'll find out all the gory details on Wednesday at group run.
I crossed the finish line with an unofficial time of 2:46.40, or a pace of 7:56. Burned 1596 calories (trying to stay warm in the cold helps!), and maintained a heart rate of 154 or 88.5% - a little on the high side, but again, part of the battle is just staying warm.
Once I crossed the finish line, I had to jump in my car (which was parked a couple of blocks away), and race to the 14th St Bridge, where I was marshaling for the second wave. I just made it to my spot as the first runner (they left the start line, about 6km away, at noon!) raced up, right at 12:15. He was clipping, let me tell you! Cheered everyone on, and got them pointed in the right direction, but Holy Mother, I was COLD!!!! I did have dry gloves, toque and a big fleecy sweatshirt, but I was still soaked underneath it all, and it only warmed up to -2C by the end of the day. Brrrr...I just kept moving, dancing and clapping my hands - mainly to keep feeling in my fingers and toes! No, scratch that...my feet were about the only warm part. Fingers and face were a different story - I swear at one point I looked like I got Botox! Nothing was moving!!
After the last (or close to last) runner passed me on the way back, I gathered up my cones and headed back to Ft Calgary for some much needed brunch. As a volunteer, I got fed. Yay! Simple buffet, but probably the best scones and jam I have ever had, EVER, and the fluffiest, real scrambled eggs with cheese, real thick cut bacon and the freshest fruit salad I've seen in months. And tons of variety of fruit. I vote for Ft. Calgary for all future brunches...the staff were friendly, the food awesome and the location interesting, as it really is where the city of Calgary started.
After I filled my belly, I came home, finally changed into some dry clothes, and then wandered off to Safeway. It is, after all, the Chinese New Year, and I am in the mood for dumplings and whatever else I can get my hands on. Came home with chicken & pork dumplings (Safeway brand, frozen, and really good!), some Shanghai noodles, snow peas, shitake mushrooms, broccoli and other goodies to go into a stir fry with some shrimp. Just thinking about it, I'm getting hungry, so I'm off to make some dinner. Pictures may follow later.
Kung Hei Fat Choi

No comments:

Blog Archive