MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Giving back to the community

After weigh in, I walked down to the Running Room to hand out packages for tomorrow morning's Hypothermic Half. I believe that we, as runners, shouldn't just run the races, but should help out at a few. You certainly get a better appreciation of what goes on behind the scenes...after all, if it weren't for the volunteers, we'd all just be a bunch of people running around with numbers on our chest!
The walk there and back was brisk! In typical Calgary fashion, a cold front blew in overnight. Yesterday, the high was +6C (43F) and today it was -8C with a -14C windchill (or about -6F)...big difference! Hoping it blows back out (it is supposed to) tomorrow, but it most likely won't happen till AFTER we run the Half. Drat...I was looking forward to a run without having to wear everything I own at once!!
I am doing my best to envision a successful run tomorrow - I am picturing myself crossing that finish line in 2:30...I can do this!! In fact, I spent the afternoon envisioning...okay, napping, but dreaming was involved!
Got up and made my usual pre-race meal. Garrath has told us to treat tomorrow like a race, even if we aren't registered, so that we can get a feeling for our actual marathons coming up. I've been eating this meal for years, and find that I have good energy the next day, and don't have to worry about any funny business south of the waist! I changed it up once years ago, and let's just say it wasn't pretty!!
While I got some water boiling, I started frying off some red onion and garlic in evoo...to that I added a roasted red pepper (packed in water), some sundried tomatoes (dry packed, that I reconstituted in boiling water), a can of smoked tuna, fresh basil, spinach, capers, kalamata olives, lemon zest and juice. Ate it on top of whole wheat linguine, and topped it all with some light crumbled feta. YUM!

I'm going to spend the rest of the evening catching up on the Opening Ceremonies, and then back to bed...the race isn't horribly early, but I do need to get down to the area and parked, in enough time to pick up our special race bib and get going.
Hoping everyone has an awesome Saturday evening.
GO CANADA GO!

No comments:

Blog Archive