MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Long and slow run day

Slept in a bit this morning...my usual running partner H. had to work, so I was left alone to run the 16k LSD (long, slow distance) today. As I am NOT a morning person, I was more than happy to sleep in a bit and aim to start my run at 10. Okay, 11. Temp said -17C with a windchill of -25. Oh boy...just the way I like it!! Let the layering begin...

double layer, winter weight socks
boy shorts for running (they wick the moisture away - where to, no one really knows...)
nylon long johns
winter weight running pants
nylon second skin top (that's all I can call it...it is skin tight and covers me from my neck to my bottom)
long sleeve running top
nylon heavier weight jacket
outer shell
neck band (I can't wear a balaclava - hate things covering my mouth)
nylon moisture wicking head band
running toque
winter gloves.

Now I am over heated and exhausted, and I haven't even left my home!!!! Got down to Eau Claire (my starting point) and after a quick brekkie of 1 bagel with light cream cheese and raspberry jam and a half a latte (dang it...ran out of milk this morning) I was off. It was COLD in the shade and that didn't help my mood or motivation until I finally found some sunshine. At least when it is this cold in Calgary, the sun shines brightly. I think it's to trick us into going outside, but it works. Once I hit some sun, I did move a little faster, but my long slow was long and sssslllloooowwwww...I did stick to 10:1 (run 10 minutes, walk 1) which is good, because the last time I did that was Melissa's 22k in September! Ran along the south side of the Bow until Crowchild, crossed over and ran west until I hit the 8k mark (where Home Road meets the Bow River, in Bowness), turned around and sticking to the north (and sunny) side of the river, finished the 16k in 2:31. Not my best pace ever, but the second 8 went way better then the first. Stopped into the Running Room when I got back to Eau Claire and stocked up on some running goo. I definitely need it for the energy...that and don't have venison chili the night before a long run! It was delicious, but did not give me any energy this morning!

Am down in weight though, which I am also very happy about. Man...stick to program and it works. I hate it when all the experts are right!

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Blog Archive