MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Life in the Big City

Woke up this morning on my own time, rather than with an alarm...glorious and decedent. Of course, that was after both furbabies did some tap-dancing on my head at 5:30am, to remind me it was time to get up and feed them! With George on a schedule (must get his insulin every 12 hours, and I give the shot when I feed him) I relented, and got up and fed them both, making sure I was awake enough to handle a needle first! Went back to bed and woke up at 9, with both furbabies all cuddled in and snoring away. So cute!
Jumped in the shower, and grabbed a Larabar and my go mug and headed over to H-woman's to feed Miss Nermal, H-woman enjoys a much deserved weekend away. Not two blocks away, I was reminded that I live in a big city...crime scene tape, roads closed, police and cars everywhere...oh, and the twenty or so evidence markers scattered all over the road and sidewalks. Found out it was yet another shooting (could be worse...I could live in Abbotsford, Canada's latest murder capital), although police are not saying whether it was gang related. However...black BMW parked outside hip nightclub/restaurant...screams gang.
Anyway, walked around that (guessing Roots and Lululemon aren't open for business today, which sucks that this will affect their business!) and over to H-woman's, which is exactly 1.57km from my house. Garmin's rock! Fed and played with Miss Nermal (dang, she's cute!) and then went over to Starbucks for my morning fix. Me and every other living human being in the city of Calgary, or so it seemed!!! And I do love how they have 5 people taking orders and one person actually making the coffee...yeah, efficiency at it's finest. and then you have the people taking each other's coffees, and fights break out and O.M.G. just give me my freaking latte!!!! Good thing mine is in my very own mug, as no one can mistake it as their own. And I didn't see anyone else brave enough to take on 5-shots of espresso in one sitting! Amateurs!
Walked home, past even more yellow tape (they have since extended the closure area), more cops, the media and the gawkers...come on, people...it's one thing to walk past the scene, it's another to pull up a lawn chair and have a seat!
Have the beginnings of a massive headache, which I had hoped was caffeine deprivation, but the latte isn't shaking it. Ate some breakfast hoping that would help, Kashi squares with Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla, which I love on cereal as it doesn't make the cereal soggy, but sadly, the head still hurts. Time for painkillers, I guess. Speaking of the almond milk, I picked up a 12-pack yesterday at a small organic shop in the far northwest of Calgary for less than $2/litre...huge deal! If it's still on sale next week, I may pick up another.

In fact I did a lot of running around yesterday, putting almost 90km on my car! Post office to pick up the latest Epicure Fall & Winter products, which I am very excited about. Then off to Costco, as I heard they had Larabars for cheap and I'm on my last jar of almond butter Sadly, they were out of Larabars, but I did pick up another 4 jars of almond butter, a huge bag of spinach (for less than a normal bag at the grocery store...) and a huge pack of Laughing Cow cheese. Granted, it's the full fat, not the light, but getting 32 for just over what I normally pay for 8...I'll take the hit on the fat! After Costco, I skirted the city, heading around to the far northwest to find this little organic food store...I'd seen it before, but never really went in. Back in the car with almond milk in hand, I then headed down to Planet Organic, where I picked up the following 'basket' of goodies that I won. Simply dropped my name and number in the draw box, and they called me. Somehow the Kettle chips bad was empty though...not sure how THAT happened!! hehehe... I am excited to try the lentil soup and the Nut-thins. Oh, and the organic 70% dark chocolate!
Also picked up some Larabars, as I was out, and came across a new flavour...for me anyway. Very excited about it too, as it really is my two most favourite tastes together...chocolate and coconut! It wasn't bad - I find that the chocolate isn't as intense, but of course it's without all that pesky sugar and crap we're used to in other bars. Coconut Cream Pie is still my all time go-to bar. Although I am excited to find the Tropical Fruit bar...will have to keep looking.
After Planet, I whipped into the office, because I forgot to email my online journal and exercise trackers home...yes, I live for Excel and have everything I do on spreadsheets...ask anyone. With a three day weekend, I didn't want to risk remembering to jot everything down and 'catch it up' on Monday. It's amazing what one can forget to write down!
It's my dad's 77th birthday today, but in true low-key family style, I'll be heading over with a card and some scratchies and a quick hello. We just don't do the big family thing... And if things go well, I'll park at H-woman's, feed Nermal her dinner and go for a nice short run.
Wow, I rambled today! Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday and their holiday Monday.
Later,

No comments: