MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Global Warming

Woke up to -31C this morning...that was BEFORE the windchill, which topped out at -40C or so. Who counts after that?? All I know is exposed flesh will freeze in 5-10 minutes. Awesome. Yet, on Canada's Weather Network, all they can talk about is how the homeless in "frigid" Vancouver (temp is "plummeting" to freezing or 0C) are going to survive their blast of winter. Seriously?! How about shedding the spotlight on Calgary, where we kick piles of snow just to make sure there isn't a body underneath!

I had to drive into work this morning (I do so love paying $20 to park my car) as I had to go get Mom again for yet another doctor's appointment. On the coldest day of the year...this has good times written all over it. Thankfully, the OkTire store by my house had an opening yesterday, and I got my winter tires put on last night. Made me chuckle, actually, as I asked how long it would take (about 2 hours), okay, I'm going to walk to the mall to do some shopping. Their response??? "ALL the way to the mall, in this cold?!" The mall, by the way, was all of 10-12 blocks from the tire place, and if you are dressed properly and keep moving, it's not that bad. It's actually closer than my usual walk to work in the morning. Besides, what else was I going to do? Sit in a tire store lobby for two hours??? No thank you!

Got to the mall (got to walk over the new LRT tunnel (deep!!)) and found some jewellery and make-up for the Christmas party Friday night. Then I had a latte at Starbucks (half sweet, non-fat, no whip Peppermint Mocha) and headed back. The guys were great...I'm storing my summers there until spring, and they checked my battery and changed a brake light for me. Good service and nice more driving to Okotoks for me.

Left work at 2 today (it has warmed up to -25C by then!) and managed to get Mom and return downtown (the clinic is about 2 blocks from where I work!) by 3. Her appointment went well, and the doctor quickly signed the referral to the Seniors Centre. Mom had a few troubles with the tests, and kept looking to me for the answer, but I told her this was for her and not me. Now we wait for the call from the hospital. I'm guessing that will come sometime in the new year.

After dropping Mom off, and being stuck in traffic for most of it, I once again missed boot camp. I was just seething by then and was in no mood to be around people. After all, for one doctor's appointment, I put over 45km on my car and was stuck in traffic for over an hour!!! Grrrrrrr!!! At least it hasn't snowed more...yet.

I had the last of my salmon chowder (Epicure Seafood chowder mix, fresh salmon, extra potatoes, celery and corn) with some Ritz crackers. I am pleasantly full and ready for a good night's sleep. I think I'm going to lay on the couch and watch some Glee (Carol Burnett guest stars...freaking AWESOME!!!!) and then hit the hay. The cold has taken my energy mojo and tossed it into a snowbank somewhere. But the Chinook arrives tomorrow night, so we should be back to normal by Thursday/Friday. 'Bout time.


No comments: