MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Things I learned today...

1 - When planning a long, slow run (32 km), it is not wise to change the usual route at the last minute because you are bored. Sometimes the surprises outweigh the boredom!
2 - Calgary got a LOT of snow this year. I know this because most of it is still on the pathway I just tried to run on.
3 - Calgary Parks do NOT clean or maintain the running paths into Weaslehead Park...the foot of snow and lack of sand/gravel covering the whole path proved that.
4 - A foot of snow is very slippery and difficult to run or walk on. My ankles now hurt because of the slipping and sliding about!
5 - Sometimes the water covering the path is more than just a skiff...sometimes it's ankle deep.
6 - Ankle deep water in March in Calgary is FREAKING COLD!!!
7 - Just because there's grass on either side of ankle deep water, it is not a safer route to pick...sometimes it's just hiding ankle deep water!
8 - Running with wet socks and runners in March is not wise. Your feet do not like that at all. And since they tend to control the "running", it kind of ruins the experience.
9 - A north wind blowing over a large, frozen body of water (Calgary's Glenmore Reservoir) is very, very, very cold!
10 - When you run in South Glenmore Park, you can actually watch the forecasted winter storm blowing in (hence, the aforementioned north wind), which is kind of cool.
11 - When you get crabby and have cold, wet feet, it's okay to turn around early (10k mark) and head for home. And drop a few f-bombs. You will feel better...and it scares the other runners, which can be fun too!
12 - It does not matter where you parked your car...when you are returning from a long run, someone secretly moves it further away! I swear I parked closer than that!!!
13 - When purchasing funky new water/gel bottles, learn how they work first from the experts. I did not...and my gel sat in the bottom of my water bottle, not in the cool gel tube as promised. Watered down gel does not taste good.
14 - Dogs will always make you smile...especially fat little baby French Bulldogs trying to jog with their people...still smiling just thinking about it!
15 - Snuggling with a purring cat (my Coco) and drinking hot tea will warm you through and through after a cold afternoon run.
16 - Despite the pain and complaining, I will run again. Just try to stop me!

2 comments:

H-woman said...

That's a lot of things learned in just one day! I learned that I am somewhat of a pool shark and that I suck at darts. But somehow it didn't matter. =)

Farmer's Market tomorrow? I'm almost outta cheese (surprising, I know).

H =)

Carol said...

Have you looked outside yet?????