MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Barrier Lake Hike

What an awesome day we had for our (H. & myself) hike yesterday. Last year was the first time I officially went hiking, and I enjoyed it so much I ran out and bought proper boots and socks, cool trekking type pants and tops...and went out once after that! So this year I vow to be out in the mountains at least twice a month till the snow flies...and heck, maybe even once or twice after that too!
Anyway, we left Calgary after grabbing a coffee (need my 5 shots still!) and some subs at Subway (roasted chicken on ww, with loads o' veggies) and headed west. It's a quick drive to K-country (Kananaskis) and Barrier Lake. This is where I hiked for the first time last year, and it's a good, challenging hike. 600 meters up, for example, and over 6km to the top (from the parking lot).
1 -Trail map (we did the loop)
2 -Barrier Lake
3 -More Barrier Lake
Unfortunately my camera didn't pick up the jewel sparkles on the lake yesterday...it was beyond beautiful in the sunlight.

There are a lot of switchbacks as you make your climb, and it was a toasty day (for the mountains) probably in the high teens/low twenties. Even with sunscreen and hats, I managed to get a little pink where I missed...but it's started to fade already. It's incredible in the mountains...although K-country is still sort of the foothills. The real mountains are a bit further west...we'll do some hikes in Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise later this year.
4 - Pretty daisies
5 - not sure what this is
6 - view to the south

Tons of mountain flowers out, from Indian Paintbrush, crocuses, wild strawberries everywhere and it's a good thing they're still in bloom, because I have no desire to tangle with a bear at this time of year...they're just waking up and they're hungry and CRABBY!! I fully understand that I am visiting their home, so have no need to get one hurt/killed because of my carelessness. We checked with the wardens for critter activity (got to watch for bears and cougars) before heading out.
Anyway, we continued the hike up, stopping every now and then to enjoy the view, breathe in the amazingly fresh air, refuel with fruit chews and water (lots and lots and lots of water!!) and just take a breather and a look around.

7 - This is the Lookout from the base
8 - Just another mountain view...sigh...
Last year, we only made to the first 'lookout', and this is where we stopped and had another break, and look around but we decided that we were going all the way this year, baby!! Yup...we were climbing up to the lookout, although we did hear there is another one (a fire tower, actually) but that'll be for another hike. But now I know why they call it the Prairie View.


9 - First rest stop/lookout, as viewed from the top (on zoom)
10 - Looking east towards Calgary
11 - Down towards the lake


12 - Cheeky Whisky Jack
13 - Miss H. at the top.
14 - Me at the top.
After a nice rest, some picture taking, eating our lunch (it's roughly 2 hours after we left the parking lot - way down below), we decided to head down, but took a different route. The climb up to the lookout was a little rough (steep, rocky, narrow paths, etc) so we asked some of the other hikers around what the route to the east was like, and they all recommended it. And I'm glad they did...it was a little hairy getting down off the lookout, as it was a lot of loose shale and skiff, but we made it safe and sound and then hit the Jewel Pass trail. It was through the dense forest, so it was lovely and cool (after the heat of climbing) and a gorgeous trail that led down to the base and the fire road. There was a babbling creek, and more scenery and we even managed to catch up to another hiking group that we met up at the top.
Followed the fire road (trail) and saw a white-tailed deer (after H. says 'oh, deer' which I interpret as 'oh, dear' and wonder what's going on!) but she made it to the woods before I could grab my camera. Oh well...on we hiked. And hiked...and hiked...the lake didn't seem this far away before! And who moved our car?!?! I swear it wasn't this far away. Took another 2.5 hours to reach the start, but we figured out that we did just over 13k for the day. Add the 600 meter ascent and we had a pretty good work out!!!
Can't wait to go out again! I think our next hike may be the Lake Louise Tea House which is supposed to be an awesome day trip.
My tummy is grumbling, so I'm off to feed it. Otherwise, I'm liable to turn into one of those grumpy bears I spoke of earlier! Have a great (what's left) weekend!


2 comments:

H-woman said...

I'm so glad you took your camera! It was awesome, wasn't it? And I realized this morning that the dear we saw was my dad popping by to say hi. =)

H-woman said...

dear = deer

Obviously need more sleep. =)