MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Saturday, January 21, 2012

I see you

This is why I run outdoors.
Sadly, taken with my Crackberry, and while the battery was dying, so I couldn't get a closer shot.  But, running along the river, in -16C (ish...didn't know the exact temp) on a Saturday morning in Calgary.  These two were just hanging, watching us foolish runners rush on past.

Today was a fall-back day in training, so we "only" ran 28km.  I was oh, so hopeful when the weather man said the temps would be -6C when we got up, and then up to 0 (32F) by noon.  It didn't happen.  I think it was around -16C but with the humidity (still at 85% now), it felt a lot colder.  Dressing for how I run (Drippy McSweaterson), I had one layer on the legs, a second skin top under a wind-proof top, under my jacket, gloves and a head band.  From the waist up, I was okay, although the gloves and headband stayed on the whole run.  My legs were solid blocks of ice from the get-go.  They just never warmed up.  I should have had a second layer, but lesson learned.  I did, however, put my orthotics in my shoes and had a much better run today for it.

We went east again, this time sticking to that direction, rather than breaking south towards the reservoir.  The river had fog rising from the open patches of water, and it was snowing when we first headed out.  The trees all had Hoar frost on them, and it was quite pretty.  Cold, but pretty.  We continue east past the bird sanctuary and Pierce Estates, to Ogden Road.  There, we cross the river and continue east through Beaver Damn Flats (where we came across the eagles), up to the ridge on Lynnridge (only "warm" part of the run), back down to the river past Glenmore Trail, before turning around at km 14 (14.25, to be exact).  Then we head for home.  Quite a few of us started (a dozen or so) but most were happy with 18-20km and turned around early.  Five of us continued on, although the joke was J. was actually getting in 32 or so, as he'd run ahead, turn around and run back to us, then pace ahead, repeat as necessary.  Kind of like the dog from Bugs Bunny, only not quite as hyper!

(source)

Just call me Spike!

After pushing on through the cold, we finished 28km in 3 hours and 41 minutes.  Since this could be the weather in February, it was a good idea to run today, rather than wait for a warmer one, or train inside.  Races do not normally take place indoors, unless it's in a pool!

After warming up, coaxing the slush that was our fluids out of our water bottles, changing into dry gear (thank goodness for underground parking!) and having lunch (usual: non-fat latte, egg wrap and fruit salad), I did some quick running around (drugstore and vet) before heading for home.  One load of laundry later, and an un-inspiring dinner of leftover vegetable lasagna (from my freezer) and salad, I have been pretty much prone on the couch since.  Too tired to nap, but I may just obey that 10pm rule from Thursday night easily enough!

Tomorrow morning I will take my 5k peepers out for their Sunday run, then another stop for Mom, before heading down to her place.  I will then leave James for my mechanic to work on next week (tune-up, nothing serious) and take the train home, as I won't need James next week.  I'm being sent out of town for business...my FIRST.TIME.EVER! 

Not that I've worked for a lot of companies in my life (I tend to work someplace for many, many, many years, rather than at many, many, many companies), but I have never had to travel for work.  Oh, there was Montreal for Epicure, but that wasn't really for work.  That was for me.  But Monday morning I am off for Vancouver, to spend the week talking to customers about my company and what we can do for them.  Remember, I am in finance and not sales!  But this blitz is very different in the fact that all kinds of employees are heading out, from marketing, engineering, IT, sales, human resources, etc.  It'll be a real eye-opening experience for me, and a first (hey, fits right into 2012 - year of firsts) as I hope to make some sales through out the week.  From what I've heard, everyone out there is having a blast, and it's being really well received.  I did find where the nearest Running Room is, but I think I'll be working (shifts are usually noon to 8 - SA-WEET!!!!) through Wednesday's group run.  I have also found the nearest Weight Watchers and confirmed meeting times and distance from hotel.  I'll either find a trail from the hotel, or use the exercise facilities (dreaded dreadmill) but I will run/sweat every day.  After all, this trip also means no Trainer Josh for a week.  Sad face...  I'll be back Friday evening, just in time for Saturday's 38km!  Oh boy!!!

With that, I bid adieu for the night...and blatantly steal this from Monica at Run, Eat, Repeat.

Old Nike ad:
“You pretended the snooze button didn’t exist. You dragged your butt out of bed while others slept. While others ate their pancakes you had a feast of protein, glucose and electrolytes. You double-knotted. You left the porch light on and locked the door behind you.

You ran 5Ks, 10Ks, 26.2 miles. Some days more, some days less. You rewarded a long run with a short run. And a short run with a long run. Rain tried to slow you. Sun tried to microwave you. Snow made you feel like a warrior.

You cramped. You bonked. You paid no mind to comfort. On weekends. On holidays. You made excuses to keep going. Questioned yourself. Played mind games. Put your heart before your knees. Listened to your breathing. Sweat sunscreen into your eyes. Worked on your farmer’s tan. You hit the wall. You went through it.

You decided to be man about it. You decided to be woman about it. Finished what you started. Proved what you were made of. Just kept putting mile after mile on your interval odometer.

For 25 years, you ran. And we ran with you. How much farther will we go? As far as you will.”


Later,

No comments: