MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sunday, December 9, 2012

PR Competition and meeting Fran

Today was a competition at Crossfit.  We each paid an entry fee, and had our butts handed to us in return!!  No, actually today is to be used as a benchmark, to see how we can improve, whether in time or effort or both.  The day was broken up into two WODs, and there were about 20 or so of us competing.  What's great is I didn't once feel like I didn't belong there.  Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE cheered for everyone, whether it was someone doing RX (recommended weights) or modified (like me), and it was encouraging, inspiring and motivating.

WOD 1 was an Intro WOD...basically the core of Crossfit.  Four of us competed in each round, and we were either in RX (so cool to watch the "pros") or modified groups, and each of us had a judge, to ensure we were meeting Crossfit standards (aka, chest touching ground in the push-ups, full squats, etc).  No cheating today, let me tell you.  I was at 10 am with friends J., K., and C.  To start we had to row 500m (LOVE rowing!), then jump off the machine and immediately launch into 40 squats.  After the 40 squats, we dropped down for 30 sit-ups (again, crunches are for crackers...this is a full sit-up from shoulders on the ground to hands to the feet) and then flipped over for 20 push-ups.  Did I mention that chests must touch the ground in order for it to count?!  After that, we took to the bars and did 10 pull-ups.

My modifications involved push-ups from the knees (goal is toes, obviously) and jumping from the box for the pull-ups.  Again, a goal is to get to using the band by February.  Heck, I rather be kipping it (no assistance) but I know to take these things slowly to get them right.  I'll be happy with the band.  All in all my time was 6:48, which I am stoked about.

Cheered on some of the RXers, before deciding I had to get my mile in before I got too wiped out by Crossfit, so I layered up (-15C BEFORE the windchill) and took off down the road of Currie Barracks.  I did my mile (1.11) although my legs tired quickly today, for whatever reason, and came back in to the Box, to cheer on the final athletes.  After clearing up, we all prepared for WOD #2 (yes, TWO today), named Fran.

Now, I don't get why the WOD is referred to as Fran, but according to Coach, it's like how gym-rats refer to "how much do you press?" for cross-fitters.  As in, how long is your Fran?  How much did you Fran?  So, who is this be-otch, and what did she plan for us???  21-15-9...thrusters (oh boy, more squats, WITH weight), followed by pull-ups (again!!).

I decided on 35 lbs, as I wanted to finish this and again, it's important to start somewhere and have goals...I'll RX this by February (75 lbs).  With the lower weight and modified jumping pull-ups, I managed to finish this WOD in 6:17.   I feel so bad-a$$, with chalk all over my hands!


Not going to lie or sugar-coat it...EVERYTHING hurts and is slowly locking up.  Even my fingers, for crying out loud!  Tomorrow's run should be interesting.  Haven't yet decided how far I'll go...I think I'll wait to see the temp in the morning (and if I am even able to get out of bed and stand upright!).  Off to take a whack of vitamin I and crawl into bed.  Today I am very most grateful for ibuprofen!!!

Smiling (and kissing the guns goodnight)...


No comments: