MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A funny thing happened on the way to the Box, and final countdown

I am not "athletic"...yes, I run (well, when I'm allowed...fingers crossed that will be soon!) and I do Crossfit, did Bootcamp, hike and the likes, but I have never considered myself an "athlete".  I was picked last, for everything.  I was always shoved in goal, because I couldn't run fast.  I learned very quickly to hate ALL sports, especially after having balls, pucks and other moving projectiles thrown at me by the jocks with enthusiastic force.  Once PE became an option (grade 11), I was out of there!!!  And I didn't look back.

Fast forward a few years and quite a few pounds, and I rediscovered a passion if you will, for sweating.  I love to sweat...it feels good, it pulls the crap out of my body and it tells me that I am working hard.  Hot flashes aside, of course, but that's another blog!  So I continue to push myself, trying hard not to listen to the popping joints and nay-sayers who say I shouldn't, I can't, etc.  Yes, body parts hurt.  Yes, I am still close to last.  Yes, I can't lift as much or run as fast as others, but I.AM.OUT.THERE.TRYING.EVERY.DAY!

That brings us to last weekend.  It was PR Challenge, Part Deux.  If you recall, Part One was in December. That was the benchmark, to see who and how we've improved.  Two *WODS, completed a couple of hours apart.  Once all was said and done, I was DEAD LAST.  Granted, I had only started a month earlier. My rowing wasn't bad (2.5 minutes), push-ups were from my knees, thrusters was with a 35 lbs bar and pull-ups were jumping off a box.

*WOD 1 - Intro: row 500m, 40 squats, 30 sit-ups, 20 push-ups, 10 pull-ups, for time.
*WOD 2 - Fran: 21-15-9 Thrusters, pull-ups, for time.

A few months pass, and I keep plugging away everything Crossfit, intent on improving.  In fact, I stated, in no uncertain terms, I wanted to win Most Improved.  WANTED IT!

Intro WOD:
 Shaved about 30 seconds off my row!
 Actually getting my hip crease BELOW my knees...see,Trainer Josh?!
 Actually like sit-ups...weird, I know.
 They weren't pretty, but they were from my toes, dammit!!
Yes, those be bands, not a box, thank you very much!!!
Exhausted but very pleased with my effort.

Fran WOD:



Making 45 lbs look easy.  Trying to anyway.  RX (non-scaled) is 65 lbs for women, so I still have work to do.

What was the final result, besides the fact that I HEART Fran??

 MOST IMPROVED FEMALE!!!!
I'm with the Fastest Guy - Fastest Lady and Most Improved Guy were both away, having done their WODS the week before.
My award is an 8 kilo kettlebell, cash, a shirt and some socks!!  I have NEVER won anything athletic, besides the "Participation" ribbon.  This felt really good!!!!!
George approves!!

So now I countdown to 50.  Yes, in about 14 hours, I turn FIFTY.   Half a century, as my loving older brother likes to point out.  I don't even think it's middle age (yet).  Just a number, right?  Right!!
AROOO!!!

Yay for fitness,

1 comment:

Amber said...

Congrats on getting most improved!! Very well deserved I'm sure!