MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Ow

I joined Crossfit.  Yes, I understand it is yet another reason to have my head examined, but with Trainer Josh "retiring" from bootcamp, I had to find something else to do.

Crossfit is hard work.  Today's class, for example, was short and sweet, but I was still soaked to the skin, as if I had done an hour bootcamp.  I am learning the difference between a hang power clean and a push press. I am learning that I can do pull-ups, with some assistance (for now).  I am learning, that with some practice I can do box jumps.  And I am learning I still hate burpees with every fibre of my being!!!

Monday's WOD (workout of the day) was a 20 minute AMRAP (as many reps/rounds as possible) of 10-10-10.  10 push presses, 10 kb (kettlebell) swings, 10 box jumps.  I pressed 35 lbs, I swung 18 lbs and I jumped 12", a total of 7 times through.  That's 70 reps of each.  That's HUGE.  Sadly, I discovered that I could not sit down without assistance on Tuesday!!!  Actually, I really like that kind of sore...you know you worked hard.  Much better than the stabby "I'm injured" pain, which my left knee wants to toy with.  It's shock-wave for you on Monday, knee.  Be afraid!!

Today, after a warm-up, we did a 10 WOD #1 of DU (double-unders) ladder (5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40-45-50-45-40 back to 5).  I cannot do double-unders.  I can barely do single-unders.  This is jumping rope, by the way.  So, a DU would involve 2 rotations of the rope under your feet when you jump.  So not happening!!!  It's like the pat your head and rub your belly at the same time...every time I focused on moving the rope faster, my feet sped up, and I couldn't coordinate the double swing.  Or, I'd concentrate on jumping higher, and then slow down with the rope.  Gah!  Basically, I jumped rope, snapped my bare legs and cursed under my breath for 10 minutes.  I could not manage 1 double-under.  But I kept trying.  And there's a goal for next time.

After a quick break, we started WOD #2.  Another AMRAP, this time 10 hang power cleans, followed by 10 lateral over-the-bar burpees.  Yes, it's as hideous as it sounds!!  After the cleans, drop your bar, and then do a burpee, jump over the bar, do another burpee, jump back till done 10.  Have I mentioned that I am not a fan of the burpee?!  The clock started, and with music pounding, we all went at it.  I managed 3 rounds...I am pretty comfortable with my clean (gosh, don't I sound all pro and everything?) but my burpees slow me down.  Still...that's 30 more cleans and 30 more burpees than someone sitting on their couch did, right?

I'm planning on Crossfit 3 times a week, to start, and then some running, just to keep the cardio up.  I am still struggling with the "weight/not walking to work/no where to workout/pissy about working in the NE/eating like crap" chapter of my life right now.  I need routine and a plan.  It'll all come together.

Not sure what I'm grateful for today, other than getting my sweat on.  I do love that when working out, I actually drip.  Good thing Crossfit "gyms" are not all fru-fru.

Later,

No comments: