MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Time for some reflection

Good news is my ankle/foot/shin is not broken, nor are there stress fractures.  The bad news is I'll be living with this for the rest of my life. 

"Moderate Osteoarthritis"

Two words that add up to a big impact.  I mean, we all get it, right?  To some degree, and considering the last 15 years of pounding the pavement, pathways and trails, part of me is surprised it's not worse.  However, I am now forced to sit down and take a long, hard look at my running future.  As in, do I have one??

At least with the firm diagnosis, I can move forward with treatment and plans.  Dave, my sports guy, is now able to work on the area without fear of breaking me further, and I have made a triumphant (albeit small) return to CrossFit.  I was THRILLED with doing back squats on Monday.  You have no idea how happy I was!!!  All of 45#, but I don't care...it's a start and I did 35 of them!  Still can't run or jump, so when the others warm up with double-unders or sprints, I jump on the rower.  Prefer that anyway (I sooooo want one for Christmas!!).  I have still been sitting with shoulder presses and the likes, but I also did pull ups on Wednesday, dropping to the use of two thinner bands, rather than my big blue and friend.  I just have to remain careful with my dismount.  I look like such a princess with my step up to my step up to the bar!!  :)

Last night the Running Room had a grand re-opening of their Shawnessy store in Calgary, and coordinated it with a fund-raiser for our Zoo, which got hit HARD by the floods in June, to the tune of $50 million and growing daily.  Decided I would walk the 2.5k, which I did!  Ankle was a little sore, but I think it had more to do with my shoes than the arthritis.  Doesn't feel bad today, and it's no more swollen than it's usual "I've been stuck sitting at a desk all day" swelling. 

Still heading to Chicago...after all, air and hotel are already paid for, and I'll make a game-day decision as to whether I walk it or not.  At this point, I'm pretty sure I'll walk it, but will check to see if the walkers leave earlier than everyone else.  If I do walk it, I want my bling and don't want some silly "you took too long" rule to get in my way!  Really looking forward to Chicago actually.  Arrive Friday night and leave the following Wednesday, so have booked a Segway tour on Saturday, after the Expo and a food tour on Monday, followed by a canal tour on Tuesday.  A day for shopping, and wandering about and I think I'll really enjoy this small vacation.  It will be odd to plan future trips that DON'T involve racing.  Or not!
:)

That's it for me for now...watch for some changes to the Blog, as I won't be Runnergirl anymore...thinking more like XfitChick!!  Release my inner warrior and all that.  A little arthritis won't slow me down...it'll just make me go in a different direction.

Yay for fitness!

No comments: